This is a medieval bridge with later alterations. It is a single arch structure on the B6278 road and is Grade 2 listed. The Wear passes through a narrow rock gorge and after crossing the river the road doubles back on itself before climbing south over the moors to Middleton-in-Teesdale. The bridge is probably 14th century and was widened in 1792 by building a second arch downstream of the original. The setting is very attractive, although to be fully appreciated it is necessary to climb down the south river bank to river level from which a good view of the bridge is obtained.