Bridges On The Wear


When the railway up the Wear valley was extended in 1895 this was the first bridge built as part of that extension. Stanhope station was resited on a new alignment south west of the original terminus. It is, like other railway bridges in this area, a low bridge of iron construction but of a different pattern to the previous two rail bridges downstram, and also somewhat longer.

 Stanhope Central Railway Bridge Facts

Constructed - 1895
Type - beam, iron, stone abutments and 2 stone piers.
Position: Stanhope, County Durham.
Grid Ref: NY 999 386

 Stanhope Central Railway Bridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2009