An elegant single span footbridge replacing a wrought iron footbridge of 1898. An earlier wooden footbridge dating from 1855 linked to the new baths and public wash house on the south side of the river. It linked Elvet with Gilesgate to the north. The newest bridge was built by Purdie Lumsdon and Co. for the City Council.
The footbridge has a gentle curve and there are footpaths on either side. Some 1960s views are shown below.