Bridges On The Wear


On a minor road at the east end of Stanhope, this bridge leads to some houses overlooking the river, up a hill and along a minor road east to Frosterley. On the site of yet another bridge carried away by floods in 1881 it is sturdily constructed. A wooden trestle bridge replaced the iron bridge of 1862 which had been a victim of the flood, and this was in turn replaced by this concrete structure with a centre pier of red brick matching its abutments.

The gas works which gave the bridge its name were demolished in the 1960s.

 Gas Works Bridge Facts

Constructed - 1958
Type - beam, concrete, brick abutments and pier.
Position: Stanhope, County Durham.
Grid Ref: NZ 001 384

 Gas Works Bridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2009