"The most substantial market town in West Durham, in a fine position on the brow of a hill with the river Wear on one side and the little river Gaunless on the other. The river is crossed by the Newton Cap Bridge of two unequal arches, one segmental of about 100 ft span, the other pointed-segmental and about 95 ft, with a massive cutwater pier between. could be C14 or as late as the C16. Towering over it, Newton Cap Viaduct, ten stone arches which carried the railway across the river."
The Buildings of England, County Durham. Niklaus Pevsner. 1983.
One of the Wear's major bridges, it opened in 1857 for the North Eastern Railway's branch linking Darlington, Bishop Auckland and Durham. It stands one hundred feet high with sixty foot spans. After closure in 1968 it became part of the Brandon - Bishop Auckland Railway Walk but in 1995 was converted into a road bridge. Widened by 13 feet with footpaths to either side, concrete was used on top of the stone deck. It is part of the A689 road linking Bishop Auckland with Crook. The viaduct is Grade 2 listed.
A Roman bridge was situated within 2 miles of the viaduct on the Roman road known as Dere Street.