Near Unthank Hall, an earlier bridge was known as Unthank Bridge. Another wooden bridge replaced that one in 1902 and was named Coronation Bridge after the Coronation of Edward the Seventh, crowned that year. After its destruction in a flood in 1947 the present bridge was erected by the Royal Engineers and using the original stone abutments.
The footbridge is reached along a footpath, part of the Weardale Way, reached down a steep lane from the main street in Stanhope. It crosses to the south bank of the river amid trees and greenery.
This footbridge was washed away during flooding in December 2015. A new bridge was installed on July 18th 2016 and opened to the public on July 26th. a photo of the new bridge will appear shortly.