This bridge is on the main Wear valley road, the A689, and is a substantial concrete structure. It replaces two earlier bridges; the first a stone arch bridge of 1745, the second an iron bridge dating from about 1890. After flood damage this latter bridge was replaced by the present bridge.
The village is on the south bank of the river and is quite short. Daddry Shield never had a railway station being midway between St John's Chapel and Westgate stations. It is set amid moorland, though the lower slopes of the valley are farmed.