Coronation Bridge east of Ireshopeburn village is an attractive stone structure. The name commemorates the Coronation of Queen Victoria when the foundation stone was laid. Early problems led to its re-construction in 1839. It is on a minor road and gives access to farms and houses on the north side of the Wear, although originally it led to a local lead mine. It is fairly narrow and there is no footpath. The bridge was strengthened by Durham County Council in 2000 to take heavier loads. The river was once forded here.