An old bridge carrying a single lane of traffic together with a footpath, it is controlled by traffic lights. In 1975 it was by-passed by the A182 Washington Highway. Designed by D. Balfour and constructed by Head Wrightson of Thornaby-on-Tees it is a low level bridge linking Fatfield with Penshaw. It was opened by the Earl of Durham in 1890 and cost £8,000. it was refurbished in 2015.
Fatfield is an old mining village and Worm Hill featured in the legend of The Lambton Worm is nearby.