Another bridge built by Durham County Council to replace one damaged by floods in 1995, this one is situated on a minor road near Eastgate. An early wooden bridge existed here in the 19th century and was replaced by a stone bridge following flood damage in 1881.
Eastgate is a small village on the north side of the river,on the A689 and formerly marked the eastern boundary of the Bishops of Durham's hunting park. Until 2003 the Lafarge (Blue Circle) cement works was sited west of here and gave empoyment to many in the Wear valley. It also marked the terminus of the railway at that time. The site has been largely cleared.