A narrow suspension bridge, the earliest such road bridge in the country, with a deck supported by the original wrought-iron chains. It allows access to Whorlton village from Yorkshire. The old toll house remains at the north side, though tolls ceased in 1914. A large sign gives details of the former tolls. The bridge lies at the bottom of a steep hill from the village. Replacing an earlier stone structure destroyed while being built by a flood in 1829, the new bridge was designed by John Green of Newcastle. There are 4 chains made at the Gospel Ironworks, Staffs. Spanning 173 feet it has been strengthened but has a weight limit of 3 tons.
Whorlton is a small village with a wide green and several old buildings, including Whortlon Hall, dating from mid 19th century. The river is very attractive here and has rock ledges and deep pools. A ferry existed downstream of the bridge, west of Wycliffe, and the ferryman's house survives on the south bank.