Bridges On The Tees


Fishlocks is located along a surfaced road adjoined by farmland leading from Manor House Farm at Low Dinsdale to Old Fishlocks House and beyond to where it eventually joins a minor road. A 50 foot curving weir and fishlock were built here in the 18th century by William Emerson of Hurworth. The footbridge was privately built by Mr R. Pickersgill and is a curved 50 metre arched steel girder bridge giving access to private land on both banks of the Tees. It was erected by Indiscow of Darlington and designed by Simpson Coulson and Partners of Stockton.

The road to the bridge is part of the Teesdale Way and there are sulphurous spa wells nearby. The Tees here is noteworthy for the number of loops which exist between Yarm and Croft and the river marks the boundary between County Durham and North Yorkshire. The countryside consists largely of farmland and there are pleasant views from the bridge and the river's wooded banks are popular with anglers. In the 18th century a spa existed nearby following the discovery of a sulphur spring while searching for coal, and a hotel was added in the following century.

 Fishlocks Footbridge Facts

Constructed - 1911?
Type - lattice girder, steel.
Position: near Low Dinsdale, County Durham.
Grid Ref: NZ 352 098
 Fishlocks Footbridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2007