The A1(M) is carried high over the Tees on this concrete motorway bridge built in 1961. This bridge was built in advance of the first ten mile section of the Durham Motorway to be constructd in 1965, by-passing Darlington, and follows the line of the former Merrybent Railway to Barton in North Yorkshire. This quarry line had been closed in 1950 and dismantled in 1952 and was a branch on the former Darlington to Barnard Castle Railway, and the new bridge crosses the Tees on the site of the old railway bridge, the road following the trackbed of the railway to Barton. The bridge builders used a temporary wooden bridge to gain access across the Tees while constructing the new motorway bridge.
The nearby village of Low Coniscliffe is just off the A67 road and there are some attractive river walks nearby.