"Blackwell Bridge. 1832 by John and Benjamin Green, an elegant road bridge in honey-coloured sandstone with three elliptical arches, pentagnal voussoirs, and 'cornes de vache'. Attractive toll house on the W approach. Well disguised downstream widening in 1961."
The Buildings of England. County Durham. Nikolaus Pevsner, revised Elizabeth Williamson. 1985
Connecting the A66 with the A66(M) and hence the A1(M), the Blackwell Bridge is an early 19th century bridge just south of Darlington. It is an elegant sandstone structure with 3 arches and is situated at the bottom of a hill. It once carried the A1 and was widened with a matching stone facing, covering reinforced concrete in 1960. It was designed and built by John Green of Newcastle. The former toll house stands at the west end. Blackwell is a pleasant residential suburb of Darlington.
The river is wooded near here and makes a big loop just beyond the bridge. Though Darlington is close by, on the Yorkshire side are fields and farms.