"Kirkhaugh Church, the first to be seen after changing counties, beautifully placed in the middle of the valley, is a small modern edifice in an ancient churchyard.
The Tyne and its Tributaries, W J Palmer. 1882
A remote footbridge, the last in Northumberland, with a steep grassy hill on the east side but woodland on the west bank. It is near the hamlet of Kirkhaugh, which consists of just a few houses and a church on a very narrow road climbing up the hill to the north. Crossing the bridge leads up to the northern end of the South Tyne Railway, the preserved part of the former Alston branch line starting from Alston. A spot much favoured by anglers lies just beside the bridge and one can just be seen fishing in the larger picture.