A ferry and ford once existed here and a wooden bridge of 1826 was the first known bridge. It was replaced in 1875 by a wrought iron bridge, financed by a subscription raised by the vicar of Haltwhistle and others, £700 in all. It linked Haltwhistle with minor roads to the south. In 1948 concern over its use by heavy lorries meant a 3 ton weight limit had to be imposed. It was strengthened two years later and the weight restriction raised to nine tons. In 1972 deterioration of the main girders forced closure of the bridge to vehicles and it became a footbridge only. The bridge has had different colour schemes and is often known as the Blue Bridge. It is currently painted green after renovation in 2003. Along the river banks in either direction are well-used footpaths and the railway station is close by. Grade 2 listed.