A rebuilding of an earlier footbridge, it links Carlisle Park with Waterside to the north. It was opened by Sir William Elliott M.P. The popular riverside walks provide a means of feeding the ducks and swans which are usually found on the river at Morpeth. The original bridge was erected by public subscription and opened by the Mayor Mr R. Elliott in 1924.
Carlisle Park, to which it gives access from the centre, has attractive gardens overlooked by the 12th century castle, and there are woodlands to the west and also the William Turner Garden inspired by the 16th century botanist, a native of Morpeth.