"The Royal Border Bridge, one of the finest railway viaducts in the world, was built in three years between 1847 and 1850. It was designed by Robert Stephenson. Two thousand workmen were employed and the total cost was £253,000. It is an imposing structure of twenty-eight arches, stands 126 feet above water level and is 270 yards long. The arches contain 1,710,000 bricks."
The Bridges of Northumberland and Durham. Frank Graham. 1975.
This bridge is one of the most impressive of railway viaducts and stands high above the Tweed. It carries the East Coast Main Line from London to Edinburgh across the river. It was also once used by trains on the branch line Berwick-Tweedmouth-Kelso-St Boswells. The approach from the south is on a curve and the viaduct can be seen in the distance from the train. It was opened by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1850. The railway station stands immediately to the north end of the viaduct (see picture below). Grade 1 listed.
There are river walks on either side of the Tweed which pass under all three bridges. Further upstream from the bridge salmon are caught from February to September, using shore-based seine nets, the Tweed being the finest salmon river in the United Kingdom.