Mertoun House near St Boswells has gardens which open to the public from April to September and the footbridge spans the Tweed to the west of the house. A suspension bridge with steps at either end it is reached down a steep slope from the estate and gives access to fields on the south side. It was built by John M. Henderson and Co. Aberdeen. Further east is Old Mertoun Bridge of C18 giving access to an island in the Tweed but it does not span the full width of the river (see bottom picture).
A notice on the bridge states that 'Persons using this bridge do so entirely at their own risk and the proprietors accept no responsibility for any injury which might be occasioned thereby'.The gardens are extensive and date from 1705. The house is not open to the public.