Bridges On The Tweed


"Stobo. The village, strung out along the B712 for 1.6 km., began to take shape in the early C19 when housing was erected for labourers on the estate of Stobo Castle, and expanded after the Caledonian Railway arrived in 1864."

The Buildings Of Scotland, Borders. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett. 2006.

For some distance west of Peebles the Tweed continues west before eventually turning southwest to Stobo and Drumelzier. Along the way are 4 bridges and at Drumelzier a bridge carries the B712 over the river which then turns to the south and on to the remote regions of the Upper Tweed Valley. Here are found many small bridges among the hills, which link farms and residences to the A701 road which follows the Tweed to its source.

 Opening Dates of Present Bridges

Manor Bridge - 1883
Stobo Bridge - not known
Lour Bridge - not known
Crownhead Bridge - 1986
Merlindale Bridge, Drumelzier - not known
Easter Stanhope Bridge - not known
Patervan Bridge - not known

 Easter Stanhope Bridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2011