Bridges On The Derwent


"Everybody loves a bridge. They are essentially romantic objects - brave, adventurous, usually handsome or at least interesting to look at, often magnificently idiosyncratic and every single one of them a seperate individual with its own personality, pedigree and background, each time to be freshly encountered and enjoyed."

Bridges. Sir Hugh Casson. 1963

A bridge on a minor road near Muggelswick linking that place with the B6278 Shotley Bridge to Edmundbyers road. The bridge is at a former ford and was once called Earl's Bridge. A water mill once existed here on the Durham side. An earlier stone bridge dated from 1829 and it was rebuilt in 1901.

The river here is very shallow and sheep graze on grassland nearby. Muggleswick is higher up on hills covered by bracken.

The top picture shows the bridge and the view to the north while the lower one shows the countryside near to Shield Farm, about one mile from the bridge, with the Derwent Reservoir in the distance.

 Eddy's Bridge Facts

Constructed - 1901
Type - arch, one segmental arch, stone.
Position: half mile north of Mugglewick, County Durham.
Grid Ref: NZ 038 509
 Eddy's Bridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2006