"Everybody loves a bridge. They are essentially romantic objects - brave, adventurous, usually handsome or at least interesting to look at, often magnificently idiosyncratic and every single one of them a seperate individual with its own personality, pedigree and background, each time to be freshly encountered and enjoyed."
Bridges. Sir Hugh Casson. 1963
This bridge is situated at the western end of the Derwent Reservoir and carries a minor road over the river which links the B6306 with the A68 at Kiln Pit Hill. The reservoir sailing club also has access via this road. The bridge replaced another bridge further east which disappeared under the reservoir. The previous bridge, Cowperhaugh Bridge of 1869,itslef replaced by a concrete bridge in 1941? was similar to Derwent Bridge and very narrow.
There is a popular picnic area on Carrick Haugh near the bridge and there are woods and a path going west towards the village of Blanchland.