Bridges On The Derwent


"Everybody loves a bridge. They are essentially romantic objects - brave, adventurous, usually handsome or at least interesting to look at, often magnificently idiosyncratic and every single one of them a seperate individual with its own personality, pedigree and background, each time to be freshly encountered and enjoyed."

Bridges. Sir Hugh Casson. 1963

The bridge is situated at one of the most attractive villages in Northumberland and is on the road from Edmundbyers in County Durham. The bridge is at the foot of a hill and leads into the village.

Blanchland is named after the monks - the white cannons - who lived there in medieval times and the village has grown around the monastic buildings, with a church, school and a square entered through an archway forming the centre. The Lord Crewe Arms stands on the site of the abbey grounds. The countryside around is hilly and wooded and there are popular walks along the riverside.

 Blanchland Bridge Facts

Constructed - 1841 .
Type - arch, two spans, stone.
Position: Blanchland, on County Durham/Northumberland boundary.
Grid Ref: NY 966 503
 Blanchland Bridge

© Bridges On The Tyne 2006