Bridges On The Blyth


"The present farmhouse is C19, but amongst the farm buildings the Old Hall is a rare example in the county of a mid-C16 house that is neither tower, strong house nor bastle. Much altered externally, the house is two-storeyed and has a ground-floor hall containing a big moulded fireplace with the inscription G.O. [Gabriel Ogle] 1567."

The Buildings of England. N Pevsner. 1992

This short stretch of the river is in farmland and intersected by two roads, one of them a main road to the border and Scotland, the A696. It contains a good selection of bridges and footbridges, including some curious bridges designed for sheep. Finding the original dates for any of these bridges has not proved possible.

Bradford is a small hamlet with just a few houses and the river winds its way from here to Trewick , rarely staying straight for long.

 Opening Dates of Present Bridges
Blyth Bridge East Footbridge - not known.
Blyth Bridge East - not known.
Saugh House Footbridge - not known.
Harnham Bridge - not known.
Blyth Bridge West - not known.
Bradford Sheep Bridges - not known
Bradford East Footbridge
Bradford Footbridge - not known.
Bradford House Bridge - not known.

 Bradford Weir

© Bridges On The Tyne 2009