The original masonry bridge was built at an unknown date but was replaced by a concrete slab and beam bridge in 1928. This was in turn modified when an arch was constructed in 1996. It is located at the bottom of a hill leading southeast from the town of Bedlington and is part of the A193 road to Blyth. Nearby in Bedlington is Attlee Park, the former venue for the Northumberland Miners' Picnic. There are riverside walks in Bedlington Country Park on the north side of the river and which runs from Furnace Bridge to Humford Mill and includes Bedlington Bridge.
In the 1950s there was at one time a kind of Bailey Bridge on trestles just downstream, part of Costain's road system used by huge vehicles called Euclids carrying loads of open-cast coal from the Acorn Bank site on the north side of the river to Bebside railway sidings.