Bridges On The Coquet

HEPPLE BRIDGE

"The village of Hepple is pleasantly situated on a gently sloping piece of ground north of the river Coquet, and about six miles west of Rothbury. This interesting little village is almost self-contained, for besides the two farmhouses of Middle and West Hepple, it has its own church, parsonage, and school-house, its village shop and post office, also its joinery and smith's shops.

Upper Coquetdale. David Dippie Dixon. 1903.

Hepple is a small settlement with relics from its medieval history. There is the remains of a 14th century fortified tower and some ruins of bastle houses nearby. Much of the present village was built in the 19th century including the church, school (now the village hall) and estate workers' houses.

The bridge is a little south of Hepple on the B6341 road and has been modernised with a large steel girder beam on top of the old stone piers. The south bank is lower than the north bank and slippage of the bridge occurred, pulling the masonry away from the north abutment. Repair required both ends to be firmly anchored to prevent a recurrence. Originally the bridge was apparently of stone and timber construction and much narrower. An interesting suspension swing bridge once existed near here. Made of iron it had a 90 foot main span and was presumably a footbridge as it cost only 30.


 Hepple Bridge Facts



Constructed - 1874?
Type - beam, steel girder on masonry piers.
Position: Hepple, Northumberland.
Grid Ref: NT 982 003
 Hepple Bridge



© Bridges On The Tyne 2008